The following article will describe how to create a signed applet using a self-signed certificate?
Certificate authorities typically charge a fee for the service of validating their clients’ credentials. However, for testing and demo purposes, we may create a self-signed certificate.
- Package the applet into a JAR File.
In NetBeans IDE , the executable jar file is created within the dist folder after building the project.
- Place the Applet JAR File within the bin folder of JDK Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin
- Create a public/private key pair
Type the following command from the command prompt keytool -genkey -keystore myKeyStore -alias meThe keypair(myKeyStore) will be generated within the bin folder of the JDK.
- Create a self certificate for the key
keytool -selfcert -keystore myKeyStore -alias me
- Associate the certificate with the JAR file that contains the applet jarsigner -keystore myKeyStore jarfile.jar me